Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Yummy Nutritious Protein Balls

My friend, Sara, recently shared this recipe for protein balls with me and now my kids love to eat them! It is always hard to find something good for my gluten free kids to take in their lunches. This was a great solution to getting some protein in them. It is also a great after school snack! I can make a batch and keep them in the fridge for the week.


Here is the recipe for these healthy treats...

Protein Balls
1 cup protein powder - you can use vanilla or chocolate I used vanilla
1 cup honey
1 cup natural peanut butter - I didn't have natural so I used JIF I know bad!
Mix these three ingredients in a large bowl.
Then add
1 cup oatmeal ground - I buzzed it in my food processor
1 cup ground almonds -again zipped them in the food processor until almost a flour texture
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
You can also add a little ground flax seed - don't add too much it makes them too dry - I added 2 T.
Mix it well, it might seem like it won't all come together but keep mixing.
When it is all mixed shape into balls and place on cookie sheet covered in wax paper.  Refrigerate until hard and then place in covered container.  Store in fridge.

Hope you try them and enjoy them.  I first sold them to my kids as cookie dough balls and after they liked them we now call them protein balls.  They really do taste like cookie dough.  My pickiest eater likes them the most.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

We finally tried these and the kids LOVE them. Thanks for sharing:)