Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lemon poppy seed pancakes

Boy these were delicious so I have to share!


3/4 C. milk
1 Tbs. vinegar
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 egg
2 Tbs. butter, melted
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 C. all-purpose flour
2 Tbs. white sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. poppy seeds
1 tsp. lemon zest

Stir the milk, vinegar and lemon juice together in a small bowl; let stand 10 minutes to curdle.  Whisk in egg, butter and vanilla extract.

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, poppy seeds and lemon zest until well combined.  Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and whisk a few times until the batter is mostly free of lumps.

FYI/My 2 cents - This is a thicker pancake batter & cooks up nice & fluffy.  We only had regular maple syrup but I did have fresh blueberries & that was a wonderful addition.  I just love the combo of lemon & blueberries!  So for me I think next time I will use a blueberry preserve or blueberry syrup.  But of course I'd eat them just the same way I did again and again and again!

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I made these and they were quite YUMMY!!! I am a friend of Jill's in KS :)