Friday, November 5, 2010

Elastic Zebra Scarf Tutorial

While at Disneyland last week I was inspired by a cute scarf they had for sale.  Their scarf was flannel & had 3 elastic stitches (length wise).  Simple, right?  So here's my version.


Ok let's get started......

I opted for a sheer zebra print that was kinda fuzzy.  Fabulously fun fabric is a must have!

I cut it 16" wide & 94" long.  I know it seems really long but the elastic will shrink it & maybe you want longer scarves to wrap around your neck a few times, or ten times (so it seems) in my case.

lay it right side up & fold one side in 4 1/4 inches.  Like so.  Fold the other side in, overlapping about 1/4 of an inch.  Then pin the bottom (short end).  With regular thread stitch a 1/2" seam.  What we're going to do is make nice edges once it's turned right side out.  Do the other end of the scarf.  Make sure the same side is the overlapper on both bottoms of the scarf.

You still with me?

Here's what it should look like after making your straight (non-elastic) stitch & before turning it right side out.  Ok, now turn it right side out & your going to pin the flaps closed.


You can barely see my yellow pin, but it's there.  Make sure & keep the 1/4" overlap so that when you sew right down the middle it closes up.

All pinned & ready to sew!  Like I said straight down the seam to close it up. 

Now let me talk a little about elastic thread.  I was a little intimidated & rightfully so.  I still don't have it perfected but let me tell you what I learned.  First off the elastic thread goes in the bobbin ONLY.  Very important (hence the bold letters).  I have been told to hand-wind the bobbin, so I did.  But wasn't happy, no gathering.  So I wound it like any other thread & what do you know.  I think it really depends on your machine.  I know & I hate to say it but..... it's a trial & error kinda thing. 

Here's what mine looked like after the first sew down.  Not hoe down, don't wander here, we're not quite done!

I wanted more ruffliness (I think I invented a word).  So I set my machine for longer stitches & did a second sew down the scarf.  Much better.

So what did we learn?  Maybe it needs 2 stitches or maybe the longer stitches are what did the trick.  Hmmmm, we may never know until I do the flannel one.  Which are my plans, I think.....soon.....maybe.

Let's look at it one more time, just because we can!

I've never seen my door knob look better, truly

No comments: