Wednesday, November 17, 2010

zipper flower tutorial

I saw these adorable zipper flowers here.  Obvisouly I had to give them a try......

I opted for a 19" red zipper with plastic teeth (instead of metal)
Separate the zipper into two pieces.  I did a gathering stitch with my machine opposite the zipper as close to the edge as possible. 

I then gathered it & started forming a flower.  I hot glued as I went. 

 Since the back didn't look so pretty (hard to see in this horrible pic!) I cut out a round piece of matching felt & glued that to the back.

I do think I like the "pop" of the metal zipper though.  Hmmmmm, maybe for the next ones.

My indecision was in the button for the middle; clear, silver, red......


So I decided on the red.  Jill thought it looked 80's & liked the clear button & my 10 year old liked the clear too.  This cute red zipper flower currently has a clear button.  Oh how I wish I had my mother's button box.  I love that button box!  Although I think the flower would still have an undecided middle.

Jill tried this too & added little leaves, super cute!  C'mon Jill put your pic up!

Ok here you go...my version of the zipper flower. 

I did my stitch by hand and then gathered.  I stitched about half way between the zipper and the edge, which caused there to be less space between the zipper once gathered, did that make sense? I also only used a 9 inch zipper.

Sorry I forgot to take pictures as I went!  
I cut a leaf shape out of green ribbon and burned the edges to keep them from fraying.

I want to try it the way Kara did it and see how it looks.  I will post more pictures when I get it done!

You really should try this out it is quite fun and my 10 year old daughter LOVES to wear it!

No comments: